11.08.2005

Entry One -- A Super Hero Born


It all began with the glimmer of a thought, not even a full thought, just a glimmer.
"What lies around the bend, just around the corner? Is there more? or is this what it is?"

I think there is... more..(maybe),
and the possibility, the hope, and emerging reality of Triathamom was born in that instant.

In February, 2003, I was 34, married with 4 (count'em- 4!) kids, carrying around the extra weight of a decade of pregnancy & motherhood, feeling OLD & FAT, when I saw an ad in the paper for a Work Off the Weight (WOW!) Bootcamp at a local women's only gym. It was only for women who had 30lbs or more to lose. I definately fell in that catagory. I took the bait, called & signed up. Little did I know at the time, but that 6 week camp would be the beginning of a new era. A better era. A "life is really good!" era. An "I can do anything I set my mind to" era.
As time goes by, I plan to document the transition from that mom (eww!) to the superhero mom I've now become...TRIATHAMOM (yea!!). We can laugh about the daily trials & obstacles of maintaining this most challenging status, as well as track any new superhero worthy pursuits (like a real, full length, 26.2 mile marathon!! Yikes!). You'll meet my husband, "the kids", my superhero girlfriends & more. And, hopefully, what you'll gain by spending a few moments here will be inspiration & motivation to continue in your own superhero endeavors.
Check back soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was extremely disappointed when I looked and found no mention of my motivational support in the "early stages" of your super hero development (not to mention my continued support). You remember, before the triathalon, before the half marathons. That's right, back in the days when you couldn't run half way to Wal-Mart without weezing and coughing. I encouraged you to do the YMCA Boot Camp even when a certain water-fit instructor told you that you couldn't do it. All the days that I held back my own progress so that I could motivate you. Yes that was several workout partners ago. There has been one person who has been the rock, no the foundation, of your super hero status. Unfortunately you have fallen into the trap that all too often affects super stars. Now that you have achieved "super hero" (actually it should be heroine) status, you have forgotten about all the "little people" along the way. But don't worry about me I will be ok, my shoulders are broad.

-You Know Who

Anonymous said...

I just knew that this response had to be that of a "slacker"! Afterall, WE know where the REAL support has come from (and I don't mean your sportsbra)!! It has been your short, chubby gal pal wheezing and snorting at your side - not throwing up like SOME people enjoy doing! Keep on girl!! You inspire me!!

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you something "thong". You are a new comer to this game. I am sure that you and your super hero friend have forgotten who introduced the term "slacker" to you both. I'm not saying that I coined the phrase, however it was a part of my lingo that I used in the correct situation. You two throw it around and almost make it sound like a dirty word. Where were the super heroes this morning? I guess the alarm clock didn't go off in the Hall of Justice this morning.

Anonymous said...

dearest cj
oh, my dear SLACKER! The alarm went off in my superthong slumber room at 4 a.m! I, instead of lounging in the heated pool, was doing REAL exercise in the spin class. You know, sweat and that sort of stuff....
Do not even try to diminish my super status in the hero world...I have LOTS of toilet paper!!
PS Slacker is a true term of endearment...not a dirty word at all (in most circles)!

Anonymous said...

You have really inspired me.I joined the Y today.

Anonymous said...

I stand corrected. How was I to know that you are now a spinning goddess. Please except my humble apologies.

This site has encouraged me to creat my own.

COMING TO A WEBSITE NEAR YOU......."THE ADVENTURES OF ENVIRO-MAN AND HIS TRUSTY SIDE KICK CAMPER BOY".............FASTER THAN A SPEEDING WIINEBAGO, MORE POWERFUL THAN THE SMELL OF JEAN'S SWEATY SNEAKERS, ABLE TO CLEAN CHEMICAL SPILLS IN A SINGLE NIGHT, IS IT A STUD? IS IT A DUD? NO ITS ENVIRO-MAN AND CAMPER BOY...........

Triathamom said...

Enviroman & Camperboy -- Wow. Cool. I'm honored that I've inspired you to such greatness. The world will be a much safer place with them in it. A couple of questions though, Does Camperboy even know you've drawn him into this little fantasy of yours? Is there really even a Camperboy? We haven't seen him in WEEKS!!!